Sunday, November 21, 2010

Want to Burn Belly Fat?


Almost everyone I know wants to burn off their belly fat, and they always ask me which abs exercises they should be doing. They are totally shocked when I tell them that abs exercises will not help you to lose that belly fat. What you should be doing instead are intervals.
Intervals are the ultimate way to burn off that belly fat! Until you burn off the layer of fat on your abdominals, any type of abs exercise that you do will not do a thing for you. You could have an amazing looking six pack under that layer of fat, but until you add intervals into your fitness routine, you will not be able to see them.


What are intervals? Intervals are short bursts of high intensity followed by an active recovery period. Intervals are much more effective than long, steady state cardio.

To illustrate, one of my clients and her husband were on the treadmill side by side. She was doing intervals and he was running at a steady pace. After about 20 minutes, she discovered that she had covered more distance than her husband, and she had burned more calories.
Intervals can be done on any cardio machine, or even while walking. You just need to increase your pace for a short period of time, followed by a slower pace for the same amount of time.
Here is an example of what I do for intervals on the treadmill:

*Warm up for 2-3 minutes at 3.5 mph, slight incline.
*Increase speed to 6.0 for one minute, followed by decrease to 3.5 mph for one minute. If I want to really push myself, I will increase the high intensity every other interval, until I reach 7.0 mph.
* I then repeat this anywhere from 10 minutes to 20 minutes, followed by a cool down of 3-5 minutes.

You can start to add in some form of abs exercises after you finish your interval training. Just remember that abs exercises only work on your abs from the inside out and to lose that belly fat, you need to add intervals to your routine.

I was able to drop 1% body fat AND about .5 inch off my waist just by adding intervals over the course of the past few weeks. Try it and see just how it works for you!

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions!

No comments: